Welcome to the second Quarter Quell of 2018. This is where I look back at the challenges I set myself at the beginning of the year and see how much progress I’ve made on them. We’re half way through the year and I’m definitely making better progress on some challenges than others…
I set myself the following challenges at the beginning of the year:
- To read my pre-ordered books. (Court of Mist and Fury and Angel of Storm)
- To get above 75% on NetGalley
- To complete The Sherlock Holmes Collection
- To read more pages in total than the 2016 total (16,084 pages)
- To read at least 25 books I already own.
- To complete at least one classic (other than Sherlock Holmes)
- To read at least 5 of the books delivered to me in my illumicrate boxes, including any new ones I get.
- To complete at least 26 of the Around the Year In 52 Books Challenge.
To Read My Pre-Orders: The first book I read this year was A Court of Mist and Fury! What a great way to start the year, it was a brilliant book and it half ticked off one of my challenges! 🙂 Just Angel of Storm to read now!
To get above 75% on NetGalley: In December 2017 it was at 70%, it dropped down to 68% but now it’s at 69%
Books that are sitting on my shelf, still to be read, include:
- To Kill a Kingdom – Alexandra Christo
- Traitor to the Throne – Alwyn Hamilton
- Age of Swords – Michael J Sullivan
- The Best of Adam Sharp – Graeme Simsion
- Godsgrave – Jay Kristoff
- The Lying Game – Ruth Ware
- Genuine Fraud – E. Lockhart
I aim to do ARC August again this year so hopefully a few more will be ticked off before the end of the year.
To complete The Sherlock Holmes Collection: In December 2017, I was 88% through with just The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes left to read. I haven’t picked it up yet this year.
To read more pages in total than the 2016 total (16,084 pages): So far (according to Goodreads, not including children’s picture books) I’ve read 6513 pages = 40% of 2016’s total.
To read at least 25 books I already own: Half way through the year and I’ve complete over half of this challenge. Hurrah! I’ve managed 13 books so far. All the books to date here on my Mount TBR Challenge page.
To complete at least one classic (other than Sherlock Holmes): None so far… I intend to read a Shakespeare play and Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, but best laid plans…
To read 5 of the books delivered to me in my illumicrate boxes: This challenge is going really, really badly. I’ve read 1 book – The Smoke Thieves. I like the sound of A Thousand Perfect Notes but the others aren’t really grabbing my attention. The books I still have to read are:
- The Graces – Laure Eve
- Diabolic – S. J. Kincaid
- Wintersong – S. Jae-Jones
- The Walking Land by Callie Bates
- Wonder Woman: Warbringer – Leigh Bardugo
- Nyxia – Scott Reintgen
- Artemis – Andy Weir
- The City of Brass – S.A.Chakraborty
- Blood and Sand – C.V.Wyk
- Light Years – Kass Morgan
- A Thousand Perfect Notes – C.G.Drews
To complete at least 26 of the Around the Year In 52 Books Challenge: (15/52 completed)
In the past 3 months I have ticked off:
27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc) – Wonder by R.J.Palacio
30. A short book – Claude on the Slopes by Alex T Smith
32. An alternate history book – Blood For Blood by Ryan Graudin
35. A book featuring a murder – The Smoke Thieves by Sally Green
36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven’t read before – Clean by Juno Dawson
See all the challenges I’ve ticked off here.
With school ending in July, I’m planning to do a lot of reading over summer, including doing ARC August again. Hopefully by my next wrap up I will have made better progress.
Have you read any of these books?
How are you getting on with your resolutions?