Welcome to the first Quarter Quell of 2018. This is where I look back at the challenges I set myself at the beginning of the year and see how much progress I’ve made on them. It’s always nice to see a bit of progression, no matter how small. I’ve not had a particularly good start to the year as I feel very unmotivated to read, partly because the books I have read have all been brilliant.
I set myself the following challenges at the beginning of the year:
- To read my pre-ordered books. (Court of Mist and Fury and Angel of Storm)
- To get above 75% on NetGalley
- To complete The Sherlock Holmes Collection
- To read more pages in total than the 2016 total (16,084 pages)
- To read at least 25 books I already own.
- To complete at least one classic (other than Sherlock Holmes)
- To read at least 5 of the books delivered to me in my illumicrate boxes, including any new ones I get.
- To complete at least 26 of the Around the Year In 52 Books Challenge.
To Read My Pre-Orders: The first book I read this year was A Court of Mist and Fury! What a great way to start the year, it was a brilliant book and it half ticked off one of my challenges! 🙂 Just Angel of Storm to read now!
To get above 75% on NetGalley: In December 2017 it was at 70% and that hasn’t changed. They’ve changed the region thing so it’s now harder to get books by American publishers and to be approved for books in general, which is very frustrating!
Books that are sitting on my shelf, still to be read, include:
- Traitor to the Throne – Alwyn Hamilton
- Allegiant – Veronica Roth
- Age of Swords – Michael J Sullivan
- The Best of Adam Sharp – Graeme Simsion
- Godsgrave – Jay Kristoff
- The Lying Game – Ruth Ware
To complete The Sherlock Holmes Collection: In December 2017, I was 88% through with just The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes left to read. I haven’t picked it up yet this year.
To read more pages in total than the 2016 total (16,084 pages): So far (according to Goodreads) I’ve read 3348 pages = 21% of 2016’s total.
To read at least 25 books I already own: I’ve managed 5 books so far! All the books to date here on my Mount TBR Challenge page.
To complete at least one classic (other than Sherlock Holmes): None so far… I intend to read a Shakespeare play and Perfume: The Story of a Murderer.
To read 5 of the books delivered to me in my illumicrate boxes: My housemate read Nyxia and despised it, which doesn’t particularly make me want to read it. I tried Artemis but wasn’t in the mood for it. The books I still have to read are:
- The Graces – Laure Eve
- Diabolic – S. J. Kincaid
- Wintersong – S. Jae-Jones
- The Walking Land by Callie Bates
- Wonder Woman: Warbringer – Leigh Bardugo
- Nyxia – Scott Reintgen
- Artemis – Andy Weir
- The City of Brass – S.A.Chakraborty
- Blood and Sand – C.V.Wyk
- The Smoke Thief – Sally Green
To complete at least 26 of the Around the Year In 52 Books Challenge: (6/52 completed)
Since the beginning of the year, I have ticked off:
1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title – A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas
3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards (link) – Scythe by Neal Shausterman
9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc) – Thunderhead by Neal Shausterman
18. A book with a location in the title – A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas
34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn’t win but was polarizing or a close-call (link) – A Graphic novel – Preludes & Nocturnes (The Sandman #1) by Neil Gaiman
39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title – The Disappearance of Winter’s Daughter by Michael J. Sullivan
See all the challenges I’ve ticked off here.
Have you read any of these books?
How are you getting on with your resolutions?